Problem with Windows 7

codemaker

Re: Problem with Windows 7

Post by codemaker »

James,
Understand absolutely what are you saying... and agree, technically you're right

However, my thinking is this.
If I buy for example today, the latest FWH and the latest FWH, everythig should work fine.
But, because I have a subscription for xHarbour which I always extend when the new version came lout, I will not be able to use this latest xHB, even I pay for subscription, because the later xHB might become useless with the FWH I currently use...

And what I do not agree is the fact I am practically forced to buy the latest FWH versions if I want to use the latest xHB.
Otherwise, I should forget about upgrading xHB for a long time, unless I want to buy FWH frequently, because of new versions of xHB...

Practically I would be forceds to buy the latest FWH, without need and without gaining anything in functionality, just because a new xHB version. And, if I am happy with how FWH works for me, I simply cannot rertain this version, I have to buy new version for nothing (everything works perfect with the previous versions)

I consider this at least not fair.
I am wondering why we cannot have the FWH subscriptions extendable like for xHB. This way we don't worry too much. It is cheaper for us if we can have 6 months subscription or a yearly subscription and inside this period we can get 2-3 new FWH versions, like we do in xHB. And for xHB each subscription extension is cheaper than the full new FWH version. Everybody happy, mre money for FWH and happy customers.

Anway, because I seams to be the only one unhappy about this, so let's conclude this discussion
regards
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Boris,
If I buy for example today, the latest FWH and the latest FWH, everything should work fine.
But, because I have a subscription for xHarbour which I always extend when the new version came lout, I will not be able to use this latest xHB, even I pay for subscription, because the later xHB might become useless with the FWH I currently use...
I guess I have not been clear. You can use the version of FWH you have, but you have to recompile it using the new xHB.
And what I do not agree is the fact I am practically forced to buy the latest FWH versions if I want to use the latest xHB. Otherwise, I should forget about upgrading xHB for a long time, unless I want to buy FWH frequently, because of new versions of xHB...
See above.
Practically I would be forced to buy the latest FWH, without need and without gaining anything in functionality, just because a new xHB version. And, if I am happy with how FWH works for me, I simply cannot retain this version, I have to buy new version for nothing (everything works perfect with the previous versions)
Well, you do gain functionality. FWH is upgraded monthly with fixes and new features. But as I said, you don't have to upgrade. You also don't have to upgrade xHB. Or, you can use the free version of xHarbour.
I consider this at least not fair.
Hmm, are you suggesting that FiveTech provide free upgrades just because you purchased a xHB upgrade? How could FiveTech stay in business? Would you think that the opposite should be done, i.e. when you purchase a new version of FWH, that you should then get a free copy of xHB (commercial)?
I am wondering why we cannot have the FWH subscriptions extendable like for xHB. This way we don't worry too much. It is cheaper for us if we can have 6 months subscription or a yearly subscription and inside this period we can get 2-3 new FWH versions, like we do in xHB. And for xHB each subscription extension is cheaper than the full new FWH version. Everybody happy, more money for FWH and happy customers.
I guess you don't know that you CAN get a FW subscription. Subscriptions include several FW products and are for 6 months. And you get a new version of FWH every month.

If we don't pay our vendors a decent price for their products, they can't stay in business and we all loose.

Oh, and life isn't fair...

But don't forget Rule #6; "Don't take life to seriously."

There are no other rules.

Best Regards,
James
driessen

Post by driessen »

Well, James, I couldn't have said it any better than you did.

Some people just can not understand that you have to pay every now and then for upgrades.

Boris,

I am a professional programmer and I have a FTDN supscription at FiveTech for many years. I also have a subscription at xHarbour.com.

This means I always have the latest version of FWH and of xHarbour commercial, for a very reasonable price (to my opinion).
Regards,

Michel D.
Genk (Belgium)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
I use : FiveWin for (x)Harbour v. 21.01 - Harbour 3.2.0 (October 2020) - xHarbour Builder (January 2020) - Bcc7
codemaker

Post by codemaker »

James, Michel,

I am sorry, you understood me that I do not want to pay for upgrades... I do and it is normal and I agree with upgrades logic.
The problem is that a huge percent of us are using xHB together with FWH and if we have a subscription only for xHB and not for FWH, this simply means we cannot use latest xHB compilations with the existing FWH we have, unless we always recompile..

I am also a professional programmer for 30 years by now and know exactly how important for the companies are subscriptions and upgrades. We sell our software and latter have the people upgraded by yearly subscription.

Anyway, there is a way to survive.
I bought 8.11 last November and now I need an information, which xHB version will work with it? I have all versions of xHB Professional but only one FWH 8.11
Cannot guess, so maybe Antonio can tell me which xHB to install to be sure it will cooperate with FWH 8.11

Thanks
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Boris,
I bought 8.11 last November and now I need an information, which xHB version will work with it? I have all versions of xHB Professional but only one FWH 8.11
I would presume the version of xHB that was out last November when your version of FWH was released.

If you can find out when xHB switched from pcode 9 to 10, then you can use the last version of xHB that used pcode 9.

James
codemaker

Post by codemaker »

Thanks James, going to find the appropriate version and stick with it for a while