Error 53

TimStone

Error 53

Post by TimStone »

OK ... this is strange:

Using DBFCDX, when trying to open a file across a network, the system shows Error description (DOS Error 53) DBFCDX/1001 Open error: XYZ.dbf

DOS error 53 means there is a network connection problem. However, that file, and all others, exist in a directory that is already being accessed by this computer since it opened other files using the same path.

The error does not occur on other computers using the same client program and accessing the same data files.

For those familiar with tData, the error is returned by the tData:fileuse( ) call.

This is a strange issue, and thinking it through, it would appear the error reported is not exactly the one occurring. Does anyone have experience with this error code that can share ideas ?

Thanks
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
James Bott

Re: Error 53

Post by James Bott »

I have never seen this. Maybe the file is in exclusive use? Maybe you have run out of file handles?

For those that don't have TData, the error is caused by the standard dbusearea() function.

James
Richard Chidiak

Post by Richard Chidiak »

Tim

check that the shortcut to your exe is not \\..... in this case, files are open as "read only"

Try to assign a letter and change the shortcut to z:\my app \myapp.exe for example

Hth

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
TimStone

Post by TimStone »

I went online with the customer and shut the program, reopened it, and could not get the error to occur. Also, it only happens with one computer, and the one file, although over 110 are in that folder. All other machines access the same file with no problem.

The computer also has some other issues. It appears to be having a problem intermittently with it's internet connection, so my guess is that the connection between this machine and the router may be having some issues.

For now, I will wait and see what happens.

Thanks.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Tim,
It appears to be having a problem intermittently with it's internet connection, so my guess is that the connection between this machine and the router may be having some issues.
I have had that happen before. First I would replace the LAN cable from the PC to the wall outlet. If that doesn't solve it, replace the LAN card. If that doesn't do it, then you probably need a LAN tester (equipment) to check the wall interior wiring.

I remember one time, when it turned out that the cleaning people had been there the day before the problem started, and I found the cable was loose. Now, I always ask if someone has been doing anything unusual near the computer.

James