Smtp help needed

Randal

Smtp help needed

Post by Randal »

All,

I need to add email capability to our app, our users will be emailing invoices & statements as PDF attachments, possibly hundreds of emails at a time. This needs to work across a wide variety of platforms, i.e. XP, Vista, and Win 7 (32 & 64 bit). I can get the smtp class to send emails on my computer through port 25 and my local isp (comcast) but I cannot get it to work with gmail or yahoo.

Does anyone have an example of how to send email using the smtp class to a gmail account?

With debug turned on and using port 465 I the following in the log:
04/23/11 19:08:41: Connect Socket handle: 180
04/23/11 19:08:41: Write Socket handle: 180

and that's it. The email is never received.

In other suggestions for an email solution would be appreciated. I don't want to use mapi as most of our users won't have a mapi compliant email program on their computer. Many of our users use gmail, yahoo, or some other provider. So it needs to work with most popular isp's and those that require authentication.

I would certainly consider any 3rd party products if they meet the above requirements.

Thanks,
Randal
Colin Haig

Re: Smtp help needed

Post by Colin Haig »

Hi Randal

If you do a search for GMAIL in the Fivewin for Harbour/xHarbour area you will find
a sample using GMAIL by a person named Jack. I not sure how to put the article link
in a message.

Regards

Colin
Randal

Post by Randal »

Colin:

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw this post however, the gmail example uses CDO. CDO doesn't come on Win 7. I was hoping to find a solution that was more self-contained and not require our users to download a package from MS.

What are other people doing to email enable their apps? Most users are using gmail, yahoo, etc. and require ssl/tls even if their local isp offers a non ssl/tls smtp server. Do you just make users send mail via their local isp smtp server?

Thanks,
Randal
IBTC

Post by IBTC »

Hi Randal,
Randal wrote:I would certainly consider any 3rd party products if they meet the above requirements.
Have a look at the SocketTools Library Edition of Catalyst Development.
Best Regards,
Ruediger Alich

---
HMG 3.1.3 | FTDN/FWH 13.12 | Harbour 3.2 | BCC/MinGW | Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 (32/64-Bit), Wine (Linux/Mac) - started 1999 with FW, 1989 with Clipper
Bayron

Post by Bayron »

Try this:

http://forums.fivetechsupport.com/viewt ... 30#p113518

I tested with gMail, and it works perfect.... You can use, gMail, Hotmail, etc, etc...
=====>

Bayron Landaverry
(215)2226600 Philadelphia,PA, USA
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

FWH12.04||Harbour 3.2.0 (18754)||BCC6.5||UEstudio 10.10||
Windows 7 Ultimate

FiveWin, One line of code and it's done...
Randal

Post by Randal »

Ruediger:

Thanks, this looks like it has everything. Do you have any experience with their products?

Randal

IBTC wrote:Hi Randal,
Randal wrote:I would certainly consider any 3rd party products if they meet the above requirements.
Have a look at the SocketTools Library Edition of Catalyst Development.
Randal

Post by Randal »

Bayron:

This looks like it uses CDO also. CDO doesn't come on later versions of Windows and you have to install it from Microsoft.

Thanks,
Randal

Bayron wrote:Try this:

http://forums.fivetechsupport.com/viewt ... 30#p113518

I tested with gMail, and it works perfect.... You can use, gMail, Hotmail, etc, etc...
IBTC

Post by IBTC »

Hi Randal,
Randal wrote: Do you have any experience with their products?
Not yet, because of lack of time. :(
Best Regards,
Ruediger Alich

---
HMG 3.1.3 | FTDN/FWH 13.12 | Harbour 3.2 | BCC/MinGW | Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 (32/64-Bit), Wine (Linux/Mac) - started 1999 with FW, 1989 with Clipper
Bayron

Post by Bayron »

Randal,

I just downloaded, compiled and tested, i did not check it yet, but, I have a Windows 7 Ultimate computer, and ran perfectly, without installing anything.....
=====>

Bayron Landaverry
(215)2226600 Philadelphia,PA, USA
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

FWH12.04||Harbour 3.2.0 (18754)||BCC6.5||UEstudio 10.10||
Windows 7 Ultimate

FiveWin, One line of code and it's done...
Randal

Post by Randal »

Bayron:

Do you have IIS installed? If you do a google search for CDO + Windows 7 you can find plenty of information to verify that CDO is not install on Win 7 computers by default.

Thanks,
Randal
Gale FORd

Post by Gale FORd »

I have found the OstroSoft SMTP Component to be very fast and reliable. The price is very reasonable also.
Randal

Post by Randal »

Gayle:

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and it looks like they only have components for .NET. They have an older version of their component for COM but it does not support ssl/tls. I sent them an email to verify this but I've not heard back from them.

Thanks,
Randal
Gale FORd wrote:I have found the OstroSoft SMTP Component to be very fast and reliable. The price is very reasonable also.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Randal,
Randal wrote:Do you have IIS installed? If you do a google search for CDO + Windows 7 you can find plenty of information to verify that CDO is not install on Win 7 computers by default.
just tested my Win7 professional 64bit and CDO works good without having me to install anything special.

Hi,
Davide
Richard Chidiak

Post by Richard Chidiak »

Randal

Same for me , i use CDO without problems and i did not install anything for this.

Win 7 premium home edition 64 bits

Hth

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013