sockets

don lowenstein

sockets

Post by don lowenstein »

I need to write to a socket and receive data from that socket.

Has anyone out there been successful with this?

I tried to telnet a socket address and was successful. However, using the FWH sample socket prg's I receive a -1 on that same ip / port address.

Any magic required here?
Don Lowenstein
www.laapc.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

Don,

Please have a look at samples\sockserv.prg and sockcli.prg
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
don lowenstein

Post by don lowenstein »

Antonio,

I'm having erratic results on reading the return response from the host. I have inserted timing loops, etc but can't get consistant.

With the test programs and msgstop's and debugger, things work well. In my application, it's almost like sometimes I'm active and receive the host messages, other times I "miss" them. I'm telling my app to sleep() and inkey(.25) etc, then testing for the getdata(), but most times (not all) the returned data is empty. I do know that the host side is returning data.

Question: Why won't the getdata() method work consistantly? Also, in the sample programs, when the socket is getting ready to close, a msginfo() is invoked, and this in turn invokes the onread event. Almost like without the msginfo() the socket doesn't "wake up" for handling the read event. Does this make sense?

How can I control the onread event BEFORE ending the socket.
Don Lowenstein
www.laapc.com
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Don,

I'm no socket expert, but you can turn on debug logging and this may give you some clues. Try:

oSocket:lDebug:=.t.
oSocket:cLogFile:="socket.log"

James