OT: Windows 10

TimStone

OT: Windows 10

Post by TimStone »

I have been a fan of Windows 10 for many months. As a developer, though, there is one feature that I absolutely love - Virtual Desktops

I use dual monitors, but when tracking email, newsgroups, and other media, there isn't room for my programming items to also display. I have my editor, builder, and notes all open, but these eyes also want them in larger display sizes to see ... so that means "minimizing" many programs.

Now with the Tasks display option, I've place all my communications programs open across two monitors in Desktop 1. In a 2nd desktop, I have all my programming tools open across both monitors. A simple click between desktop one and two gives me all of the programs for each task, fully open and running, instantly.

I started this Off Topic thread so others can also share their experiences with Windows 10. I now have it installed on 5 devices, all running productively. They are: Windows Phone ( Lumia 929 ), HP 8" tablet, Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Tower ( with the dual monitors ), and a Samsung All In One. All are networked ( very easily ) together, are fast, and have demonstrated no operational problems.

What have you found that is new and helpful ?
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
Adolfo

Re: OT: Windows 10

Post by Adolfo »

Virtual desktops is not a NEW feature....

Linux has it since years...
Now... is new on windows... Can say more since my 10 upgrade is on the way
;-) Ji,ji,ji... buena la cosa... "all you need is code"

http://www.xdata.cl - Desarrollo Inteligente
----------
Lenovo Legion Y520, 16GB Ram, 1 TB NVME M.2, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1050
LordJonas

Post by LordJonas »

For Windows is a new feature... for Linux users like me it's a old feature that's very usefully...
sambomb

Post by sambomb »

Tim, what about compatibility?
Any issues?
Email: SamirSSabreu@gmail.com
MSN: SamirAbreu@hotmail.com
xHarbour 1.1.0 + FwXh 8.02
xHarbour 1.2.1 + Fwhh 10.6
Enrico Maria Giordano

Post by Enrico Maria Giordano »

A couple of questions:

1. What is the last term for doing the upgrade?

2. I currently have Windows 8.1 Pro installed. After the upgrade to Windows 10 what version will I have? The Pro version?

EMG
LordJonas

Post by LordJonas »

Hi Enrico.

According to Microsoft if you upgrade to Windows 10 you'll have the same version: Windows 10 Pro...

Please note that you can make an upgrade (if you wait for the update...) or a clean installation. In the last case you'll need to provide the product key. Since the date of installation you've a month to decide if you want to keep Windows 10 or make a regression... after that month it's not possible to go back unless make a new installation of Windows 8.

I've done a upgrade from Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with no problem during the installation phase. No key has needed to enter since my Windows 7 is genuine.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy Windows 10 much as i do... :P
Enrico Maria Giordano

Post by Enrico Maria Giordano »

Thank you. Is there an official MS source for this infos? Url?

And what about the last term for the free upgrade?

EMG
TimStone

Post by TimStone »

Ok ... here are some answers and observations:

1) The official free upgrade period lasts until July 29, 2016. You can do it anytime before then. Having upgraded 5 devices, I see no reason to wait. If you upgrade in that time you will continue to receive free updates as Windows 10 evolves through the years.

2) My tower desktop is possibly the best source for the comment on compatibility. I have a wide range of programs running and if they worked on Windows 7 or 8, they work fine in 10. I think any 32 bit programs that ran on XP will also work without any problems. I have not experienced one compatibility issue. Windows 10 does have a feedback ability, and if you do experience a problem, and report it ( detail really helps ), it may well be addressed quickly in the regular updates. We saw this happening throughout the Insider period which continues to exist for years to come.

3) Some people report issues with the upgrade, but I often wonder what it is about their computer that creates the problems. Reading the comments simply does not provide enough information. I tell people to keep running Windows Update on their current version until it reports no more updates ( after a reboot ). Then do the Upgrade to 10. I also suggest unplugging USB drives and turning off additional monitors while doing the update. That is not something Microsoft has said, but I feel it eliminates potential issues. I did that on my desktop and had no problems at all. When I turned on the 2nd monitor, it was instantly recognized and worked fine. The same was the case when I plugged the drives back in.

4) There is a lot of misinformation out there by people who simply did not take the time to read the Getting Started info, or to look at the options. The Microsoft Community Forum is filled with people saying "this doesn't work" until someone replies how to turn the feature on ( settings ), or how to use it.

5) Virtual desktops is new to Windows and well implemented. I don't use Linux, I use Windows, so its an addition I really appreciate. My comment was about it's usefulness, not some claim that Microsoft originated the idea.

6) You can get all the info you want here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows but that is the US site ... I'm sure the same thing is available in other countries with the native languages.

I'm going to ask a favor here. I started this thread because most of us develop for Windows and we need to understand the OS on which most of our programs will run. I didn't post it to sing the praises of one company, or OS, over any other. There is often a tendency for people to hear "Microsoft" and start making negative comments. PLEASE DO NOT do that here. First, the company has made sweeping changes, and the "age of Satya" is different. The company deserves to be viewed as it stands today, not based on what may have happened in the past. So my favor is to ask that we stay focused on Windows 10 in this thread.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
sambomb

Post by sambomb »

Thanks for the reply.
I have a genuine windows 7 ultimate x64 installed in a RAID 0 of 2 SSD's, any tips about the fresh install's in RAID arrays and/or SSD?
Email: SamirSSabreu@gmail.com
MSN: SamirAbreu@hotmail.com
xHarbour 1.1.0 + FwXh 8.02
xHarbour 1.2.1 + Fwhh 10.6
cnavarro

Post by cnavarro »

Dual boot laptop with Windows 7 Home and Windows 8.1 Pro
Installed on Windows 7
Tests are satisfactory. It has respected the dual boot
It has taken about 4 hours
C. Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
Si alguien te dice que algo no se puede hacer, recuerda que esta hablando de sus limitaciones, no de las tuyas.
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

I have installed it on a new computer and now it says it is not activated and does not allow to activate it.

Any hints ? thanks
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares